Cosumix® Plus 12% (Sulfachloropyradizine, Trimethoprim)
Product information on this website is for Non-U.S. residents only and is provided by Novartis Animal Health Inc. for general purposes only. Many veterinary products listed are available upon prescription only, and not all such products may be available in all countries. The product information is not intended to provide complete medical information. SHOULD YOUR ANIMAL HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION, PROMPTLY SEE YOUR OWN VETERINARIAN. WE DO NOT OFFER PERSONALIZED MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS OR ANIMAL-SPECIFIC TREATMENT ADVICE. You should always obtain complete medical information about your veterinary product prescription (including their beneficial medical uses and possible adverse effects) by discussing the appropriate use of any veterinary product directly with the prescribing veterinarian.
Veterinary professionals may obtain complete medical information from the product's information leaflet. Information on these products may vary by country. Animal owners and veterinarians should check with local medical resources and regulatory authorities for information appropriate to their country. In addition, current regulations in many countries limit (or even prohibit in some instances) the ability of Novartis Animal Health Inc. to provide information and/or to respond directly to questions regarding its prescription products. Novartis Animal Health Inc., however, will respond to inquiries from and provide information to your qualified health care professional in accordance with local regulations.
Water Soluble Powder
Potentiated oral broad-spectrum antibiotic indicated for prophylaxis and treatment of bacteral infections in poultry, pigs and calves.
Description and Composition
COSUMIX PLUS is a water soluble powder containing 10g Sulfachloropyridazine sodium and 2g Trimethoprim per 100g.
Sulfachloropyridazine is an antibiotic belonging to the group of sulfonamides. Like all sulfonamides, sulfachloropyridazine is a competitive antagonist of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), a precursor of folic acid, in protozoa and bacteria.
Folic acid is a coenzyme necessary for the synthesis of nucleic acid, hence sensitive species do not multiple in the presence of COSUMIX PLUS 12%.
Trimethoprim is an antibacterial diaminopyrimidine derivate that synergises with sulfonamides in the inhibition of bacterial replication. It blocks tetrahydrofolate production at a different biosynthetic site than sulfonamides, therefore, the combination of both drugs is more effective at lower concentrations than either drug used alone.
COSUMIX PLUS is indicated for prophylaxis and treatment of bacterial diseases in poultry, pigs and calves.
- Poultry: Air-sac disease, CRD complex, coliform septicaemia, salpingitis, fowl cholera, infectious coryza, staphyloccocal infections
- Pigs: Colibacillosis, colienterotoxaemia, bacterial scours, broncho-pneumonia, enzootic pneumonia, atrophic rhinitis, MMA complex
- Calves: Diarrhea, gastroenteritis, colisepticaemia, bronchopneumonia, polyarthritis, calf diphteria, omphalitis.
Dosage and Administration
Guide dosage for all animals: 24mg active ingredient per kg body weight (corresponding to 200mg COSUMIX PLUS 12%) per day. In cases of either primary or secondary E. coli infections a higher (up to double) dose rate is advised.
- In pigs, COSUMIX PLUS 12% is administered by mixing into the drinking water or feed for 5 to 10 days.
- In calves, COSUMIX PLUS 12% is administered by mixing into the drinking water, milk or milk replacer for 5 to 10 days. Whenever possible, half of the daily dose should be given in the morning and the remainder in the evening.
- In poultry, COSUMIX PLUS 12% is administered by mixing into the drinking water or feed for 3 to 6 days.
Withdrawal periods according to national registrations.
Special Precautions and Warnings
- For use in drinking water of pig and poultry. Prepare fresh water daily.
- For use in calves, prepare milk or milk replacer daily.
- To avoid possible disturbance of the ruminal flora, do not give COSUMIX PLUS 12% to ruminants with functioning rumens.
- Avoid underdosing. Sick birds may drink less water than normal. When such birds can be isolated the proportion of COSUMIX PLUS 12% in the water can be proportionally increased.
- Avoid overdosing. At high ambient temperatures birds drink more water than usual, and thus the concentration of COSUMIX PLUS 12% in the water should be decreased.
Formulations and Packages
COSUMIX PLUS 12%
- Box of 10 x 10g
- Box of 4 x 250g
- Carrier pack of 5kg
- Drum of 50kg
Visit our international Denagard website to learn more about one of the most potent antibiotics against the key enteric and respiratory infections affecting pigs and poultry..